Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Break.


Let me just start out by saying that Idaho, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my entire life. It feels like everyday I go outside and see something that I have never seen before and it never ceases to amaze me. This weekend, Austin and I went camping in northern Idaho and I was blown away by how much the terrain varied from what I had seen before. I took pictures during the entire trip so I will post them as I write so you can see the remarkable changes for yourself!


We packed up the car left on Saturday morning and began driving to a town called Cascade where we planned on camping. It was pretty warm (around 40 degrees) considering how early it was when we left Meridian so we figured it would be extremely warm by the time the afternoon rolled around ("I'm so happy I brought shorts!") ... We could not have been more wrong! As we were driving we begin to notice snow... first, just in small little patches and then those small patches increased to about a foot of snow the further north we went.



We couldn't help but laugh - how had we not considered the fact that there might still be snow up north? We got to Cascade at around 10:30 am and it was a sizzling 17 degrees out. We decided to go into a gas station and get a snack, some advice and some gloves. When we told the woman our intention of camping and fishing she literally laughed out loud and questioned our sanity. We told her we were determined to go camping and as she realized that we truly were being serious she pulled out a map and told us that our best bet was to go two more hours north to a place called Riggins. We were slightly apprehensive because first, we had already driven for two hours and second, neither of us knew anything about Riggins but we decided to go for it anyway.


With gloved hand in hand we ran and hopped back in the car and began the second leg of our journey. As we drove we were pleased to find that the snow was indeed melting and the tempeture was increasing!


In what felt like no time at all we reached a tiny, little town called Riggins. We stopped at the first store we saw to get the locals' opinions on the best camping spots in the area. We were informed that there was a nice spot along the Salmon River and that we should go across a bridge...


And then continue down a dirt road for about eleven miles. Let me say, we could not have found a better camping spot if we had tried. This place was absolutely gorgeous -


After we set up the tent, we went down to the water (which was only about 30 yards from our campsite) and did some fishing! Well, Austin did some fishing... I just played paparazzi!


 

 No make-up, no straightener, no blow dryer and my darling didn't wear any hair gel - quite an awesome spring break weekend, if I do say so myself! Hm, let's see... I'm trying to think about what else has happened between my last update and now. OH - Austin's family came down from Colorado this past week! It was so awesome to see them all, they're hoping to be moving back to Idaho within the next few months :)


Two of his younger sisters!

And lastly, Tami moved out on Friday. She headed over to Rexburg to see her fiance and celebrate his birthday and then she was heading home to Utah until the wedding which is June 15, I believe. 

 
Tami, Heather, me and Julie drinking green, peppermint paddy sodas on St. Patrick's Day!

I should have a new roommate by the end of next week - so exciting! One last thing before I go... Look at this video of this little boy playing I'm Your's by Jason Mraz on a uke - so cute and SO funny!








No comments:

Post a Comment